Who We Are
Dr. Shimi Kang is an award-winning Harvard-trained doctor, researcher, media expert, keynote speaker, and author of the #1 national bestselling parenting book The Dolphin Parent.
Dr. Kang is a Clinical Associate Professor at the University of British Columbia, founder of the Provincial Youth Addictions Program at BC Children’s Hospital, and the past Medical Director for Child and Youth Mental Health for the city of Vancouver.
Dr. Kang’s articles, television, and radio appearances on topics such as motivation, innovation, leadership, and optimal performance can be found in major media outlets including the Huffington Post, CBC, US News, Washington Post, Psychology Today, South China Morning Post and TIME Magazine. Her TEDx talk on adaptability has been viewed almost 1.5 million times.
Dr. Kang has helped countless children, adolescents, and adults move toward positive behaviours, better health, and wellbeing. She is the proud mother of three “amazing and exhausting” children!Learn more on DRSHIMIKANG.COM
All current editions available of Dr. Shimi Kang's bestselling parenting book The Dolphin Way:
- Dear Friends,
- What an incredible journey we have been on! About 5 years ago, when Penguin-Random house released my first book The Dolphin Way, I was both ecstatic and in complete panic-mode. What would the world think about “firm but flexible” dolphin parenting?
- Was my thesis strong enough to stop over-scheduling, over-instructing, and over-competing in favour of self-motivation, social connection, and a balanced lifestyle? In a world that coveted perfection and performance, would the message of mistakes and adaptability fall on deaf ears? I took a risk, I was terrified, but I am so glad I did.
- With all your help and support, The Dolphin Parent released in 10 countries, hit #1 on the national bestseller list, and won the US News International Book Award. All this felt good, but it was the emails, conversations, and moments I shared with countless people from all around the world that felt great. Parents, children, grandparents, teachers, administrators, counsellors, and coaches needed the same thing I did. We needed the “simple but not easy” science of raising healthy, happy, and self-motivated 21st century children.
- Since then, I have joined forces with a passionate team of educators to take the next step along our journey: research-backed, parent-child integrated, education-based innovation, leadership, and resilience programs.
- I believe parenting is the most difficult and most joyous of human experiences. Every moment is a constant calibration with the sacred goal of nurturing balance in the minds, bodies, relationships, and spirit of our children.
- With this goal in mind, I am so grateful to see the amazing local and international growth of Dolphin Kids™ Future-Ready Leaders camps, classes, and workshops designed for youth, parents/caregivers, and educators/coaches. Together we will thrive in the power of Play, Others and Downtime to create a global community of smart, happy, strong children who are future-ready.
- Please take a moment to explore Dolphin Kids™ and this new dimension of learning.
- Dr Shimi Kang B.Sc., MD, FRCPC
- Founder & Creator of Dolphin Kids™ Achieveme
Have you always wanted more from life, wanted it to be extraordinary perhaps in all the most ordinary ways? Dr. Shimi Kang shares with us about the one skill that may give us an awesome life.